RoadID

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address below to receive the latest tips for beginning runners:

Delivered by FeedBurner

The truth about breaking your PR

Let's roar for the girls! The girls of the Saturday group of RunDAMENTALS (photo courtesy of God's Wind Events)
I just broke my 5K PR record during my third session attendance in the RunDAMENTALS Running Clinic.

In consideration of the nurfs (non-running friends), PR means personal record.

My 5K record is a very humble and lllooooonnngggggg 50:42 (okay, I hear elite runners rolling on the floor laughing).

That day, I timed in 40:17 (my Timex IronMan watch said it’s 40:14, but I’m not going to contest anymore. Maybe it’s really biased because I’m the owner).

We were asked to do 5 laps at the back of Richville Tower, a few meters away from the Alabang Town Center.

I did not know that we were going to do a trial run that day. What I was expecting was a lesson on another drill – an addition to knee high, butt kick, scissors, karaoke, and knee jump.

More so, I was not able to do follow-up runs the week prior to the trial run (okay kids, that's bad).

I arrived late for the clinic, so after the walk from ATC to the running area, I was given one full minute to prepare myself for the, uh, unexpected anguish.

Or so I thought.

I started to run with a newbie and our coach’s wife (she's so friendly and accommodating). With our feet doing the talking pace, we laughed our first lap as we shared stories.

By the second lap, I was on my own. That was when I realized that I have been running for eight minutes.
I remembered the run-walk method that Jeff Galloway taught.

And so I did my run-walk. I decided to walk for two full minutes before running again.

Since then, I inserted walks during my run, doing either one minute or two minutes. I did a full run on my last lap.

To remind myself of running again, I looked for trees where I can re-start my engine as soon as got into its spot.

Or that road, wherein after crossing it, I’d start running again.

And I felt good.

I never thought this was possible again – running a 5K, and more surprisingly, beating my previous time.
Part of me is still scared to go full running again because of the lower back pain injury and the vertigo bout that I had.

I felt so happy. I thought of all the clinics, seminars, researches, and readings that I have done. I think they are finally starting to pay off.

On the other hand, it made me realize that in life, you don’t have to worry about what happened in the past.
Or sometimes, you don’t even have to know what you’re about to face today.

You don’t have to fully understand the heck of it all.

All you have to do is go with the flow.

Run ‘til the clock stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment