RoadID

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address below to receive the latest tips for beginning runners:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Running to Live

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40645538@N00/5330537808
(PeñaRUNzi backtrack: I wrote this last January 19, 2011.)

I got a lot of “come-and-join” please months ago, because of the Adidas King of the Road 2010.

The pleas’ marketing come-ons were the same: it is the biggest running event of the year, it has buffet breakfast, singlet is nice, and freebies are many.

Never mind the whopping Php 850.00 payment. It’s a must-be-there event. All the who’s who of running will be present.

But I only got one answer to all the invitations: October 24, 2010, the date of KOTR, is my dad’s birthday.

Weeks prior to his big day, my family had already planned that we will bring him to the SM Mall of Asia to view a Marian Exhibit.

Sorry, running buddies.

As much as I wanted to feel another runner’s high, I already see myself holding my dad’s hand while we gaze at the different images of Jesus’ mom (which gave me another different kind of high).

Boy, he had fun. It was not only his first time in MOA; he also got to have pictures with the image of Peñafrancia, the patroness of his hometown.

Few weeks ago, I have read in The Bull Runner’s blog about dropping scheduled runs for what matters most – family (or friends).

I go by the same mantra.

I run to live. I believe that every step I make will let me live one more day. I run because I want to live longer for myself, my family, and friends.

But if my family (or a friend) needs me, I will not take any chances. I can hang on my singlet for the meantime.

Like what TBR said, I run to live – not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment