RoadID

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address below to receive the latest tips for beginning runners:

Delivered by FeedBurner

On Finisher's Medals


This is me after the 2013 Condura Skyway Marathon.
Here's my take on finisher's medals.
I chanced upon a tweet from @kulitrunner a few weeks ago about runners asking for finisher's medal on races.

Well honestly, I only got my first-ever finisher's medal when I finished my first 6K during the 2013 Condura Skyway Marathon. Boy, I cherished the finisher's medal liked a kid, it doesn't matter that I did not run a marathon that day!

When I got home, my whole family had a lot of fun looking at the finisher's medal. I also couldn't stop looking at my post-race pictures with a finisher's medal hanging in my neck.

The day after, I saw my finisher's medal hanging around a portrait of a friendship quote that I got many birthdays back. I smiled at the sight of it.

Two days after, I almost never noticed it.

Fast forward to two weeks later,  the finisher's medal is now a part of my room decor.


Now, this is my opinion on finisher's medals: it's cool to have one. But it would be very very special to get a finisher's medal when a runner finishes a full marathon.

On the other hand, I also understand what other runners want: a memorabilia of their run. The 2013 Condura Skyway Marathon finisher's medal will always make me remember the first time I set foot in the Skyway. But guess what? I think even if the Concepcions did not give finisher's medals to 6K runners, it would be okay with me.

Sure, a finisher's medal would say everything about what you did last weekend. But asking for a finisher's medal on every race that you join?

A few days before the PhilHealth Run (I ran 5K), I was telling a group of office mates about the organizers giving only the finisher's medal to 18K runners. I told them that 10K run is long enough for a medal. But at the end of the day, I thought: does a finisher's medal really matter to me, that I'd skip running that day because there would be nothing hanging in my neck after the smoke clears?

We might just start asking ourselves why are we getting up in the morning to lace up.



No comments:

Post a Comment