RoadID

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address below to receive the latest tips for beginning runners:

Delivered by FeedBurner

A Better Run for the Veterans - August 4, 2012

Too bad I didn't see this. I bet it would have been a proud moment for me - seeing veterans honor our flag (photo from God's Wind Events Facebook Page - Mar Espique)

I know. It's been close to two months since I ran in A Better Run for the Veterans. I have been busy so I was not able to post my thoughts on the run. But anyway, better late than never.

It was one of the running events where I came in late. I swear I left the house early because I was afraid that I might encounter some flooded areas and marketing people (people going to the market - it was a Saturday). Well, there were no flooded areas and I got to pass through marketing people with ease. What I did not expect was when the jeepney driver pass through a gasoline station. I wanted to go down and start my warm up.
 

The veterans (and their dependents) waving before the 1K gun start. Also in the picture are Coach Alvin and Joy Mendoza. (photo from God's Wind Events Facebook Page - TL Ponce)

When I arrived at the venue, the gun start for the 5K just happened. I contented myself with looking at the runners on my category. To cut the long embarrassing lateness story, I ended up running after the veterans have started their 1K race.


Running late - literally. :D (photo from God's Wind Events Facebook Page - Mar Espique)


But it seemed like it was meant to be that way. As I was starting my first few meters, I passed through veterans and their family members. Yes, they are old, but their brave spirits are still within them. It was inspiring to see them run or walk.

The 1K participants on their way. (photo from God's Wind Events Facebook Page - Mar Espique)

photo from God's Wind Events Facebook Page - Mar Espique

photo from God's Wind Events Facebook Page - Mar Espique


photo from God's Wind Events Facebook Page - Mar Espique

 It may have been six decades since our veterans fought a war that they did not want to join. Running (and walking) with them is also hoping that they will enjoy the rest of their lives; and for us to never forget the scars that they bore.

As for me, running lessons are ever lingering: one, never run a 5K without training. Two, never arrive late in a running event.

Or rather, tell the jeepney driver to fill in the tank after I have gone down from the vehicle.


photo from God's Wind Events Facebook Page - TL Ponce

photo from God's Wind Events Facebook Page - TL Ponce

I made it! (photo from God's Wind Events Facebook Page - TL Ponce)

No comments:

Post a Comment