RoadID

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address below to receive the latest tips for beginning runners:

Delivered by FeedBurner

From the Idol Stage to the Roads: Ruben Studdard is now a Runner


http://www.runnersworld.com/images/cma/RW1111HUMN_01_200.jpg


Studdard (right) with his runner-up, Clay Aiken during the AI Season 2.
http://legendsrevealed.com/entertainment/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/american-idol-rewind2.jpg

A HALF-MILE INTO his run through Alabama Veterans Memorial Park, Ruben Studdard laments, breathlessly, "the first mile is always the worst." That's particularly true on a hot July day in Birmingham, where the air hangs on you like a soggy towel. But the season two American Idol winner pushes on. After all, Studdard has a half-marathon to train for. And it's not just any race–it's one he founded.

This month the Birmingham native will debut the Ruben Studdard Celebration Weekend, a three-day fitness festival from November 18 to 20, featuring a half-marathon and 5-K. [The full marathon and relay originally planned for the weekend have been postponed.] Running the half-marathon (his first) is a milestone in Studdard's own fitness journey–one that began a few years ago.

Nicknamed the Velvet Teddy Bear, Studdard, 33, grew up playing football and went to Alabama A&M University (where he was an offensive tackle) on an athletic scholarship. But after winning Idol he spent years touring, where road food was the norm. By 2006, his weight reached 450 pounds. "I didn't have any health problems," says Studdard. "But I realized if I kept eating this way, I might have some down the road."

After trying a few diets, he switched to vegetarianism and eventually became vegan, giving up most dairy. Then last year, Studdard started running a few miles per week during his tour with fellow Idol alum Clay Aiken. The healthy changes helped him shed 100 pounds.

Studdard discovered that aside from helping him lose weight, running is one of the few ways he can go out without being accosted by adoring fans. "It gives me mental space," he says. "No ringing phones. No one bothers me. I get a chance to think about my plan for the week."

But like many novice runners, Studdard struggled to stick with it. "I got sidetracked around the holidays last year," he says. He was looking to refocus his commitment when a friend suggested he start a race. Not only did he see it as a chance to try something new, but also to promote health in the nation's third most obese state. "I'm not in the best shape," Studdard says, "but I want to prove to myself I can do something that seems insurmountable and inspire others by showing them no matter where they are in their fitness goals, they can do it, too."

Indeed, the things that set Studdard apart from the stereotypical athlete may be what inspire runners of all kinds to follow in his footsteps. "Ruben is Everyman," says his coach Danny Haralson.

"Women love his music. Guys see he used to play football. There's something about him that connects across every line. Now people see him running, and a lot of them are saying, 'If Ruben can do it, so can I.'"

For Studdard, the race is also an opportunity to raise awareness and funds for a cause close to his heart: developing young musical talent. "This is more than about me running a race," says Studdard. "I have a greater goal–to empower young people through music education." Proceeds from the event will go to the Ruben Studdard Foundation, which hosts kids' music camps and supports music education in schools throughout Birmingham. "I went to public school, and it shaped me as a musician," he says. "We could lose the next American Idol or Thelonious Monk because music is being cut. If I can just make a small dent in being able to help, that would make me feel wonderful."

While Studdard hopes the inaugural Celebration Weekend will help his foundation reach those goals, his personal ambitions for race day are much humbler.

"I want to get my butt back in shape," he says. "People are going to come and see if I can do it. But I don't have to beat anybody. I'm racing against me. As long as I come across the finish, I'll be okay."

Singing a New Tune

--

I never got to see how he won the American Idol title, but I am sure to watch Ruben Studdard as he starts to conquer a new road in his life. I love how Ruben Studdard sings (and I love American Idol, too). I also love how he manages to take charge of his health through running.

No comments:

Post a Comment